[Mgs] car audio question

Matt Trebelhorn matt.lists at trebelhorn.com
Thu Apr 3 15:54:49 MST 2008

In my wife's Fiat spider, we have an original Fiat-branded radio --
AM-only, mono -- to which I added an iPod line-in.

I'm contemplating doing something similar for the MG and pulling out
the early-90s cassette deck that I have in it now (though it is a
blaupunkt with a line-in, so it works pretty well)

I'll second what was said earlier about using an amplifier.  I have
two amps, 4 speakers.  Speakers behind the seats use a 50 watt per
channel amp in the trunk; door speakers use a small-ish 30 watt per
channel amp behind the dash.  It sounds pretty nice.  Amps and
speakers are all ebay.  Previous-generation amps aren't "cool"
anymore, but still do the business.

Oh, and I have the packaway top.  A fold-down would cover up the
speakers in back!

When I installed the blaupunkt in my car 15+ years ago, the
interference was slight.  The back of the radio pressed against the
plastic elbows that direct air to the defroster vents.  Install on a
hot day when the plastic is pliable, and you can get away with a
little bit.

Good luck,
Matt