[Mgs] Caliper rebuild MGA 1600 MKII

Pat Harris - "sammler" sammler at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 3 16:48:38 MST 2008

I'm gathering material for rebuilding the calipers, converting them to
the MGB pistons.  The seal kit was purchased along with the pistons as a
rebuild kit.

Barney's web site states that the seal has a square cross section and I
just read at a MGB page that

"The plain seal has a tapper[sic] so make sure that the high side is to
the inside of the caliper."

The /MGA Workshop Manual /illustration shows a taper on the outer part
of the seal and the cylinder of the caliper has a groove which is
designed to accept a tapered surface; this results in the flat part of
the seal contacting the side of the piston.

The rebuild kit I purchased has seals which appear to have a square
cross section.

Square or tapered, that is the question?  If it be tapered from whence
cometh such?

Thanks,
Pat