[Mgs] MGB O/D Driveshafts

Rick Lindsay rolindsay at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 10:24:01 MDT 2007

Fascinating.

A few years ago I restored a 1930 Chevrolet.  It was
fascinating to see how many strange engineering ideas
where employed - ideas today that are NOT considered
best practices (e.g. bearing lubrication by oil
dripping).  In the '30s there was a lot of
experimentation.  For me, that's part of the
restoration fun.

My dad, now deceased, used to say that we are loosing
technology as fast as we are gaining it.  And while
that statement is probably not strictly true, his
example was quite good.  He asked, "Pick any 10 people
off the street and ask them to start at first
principles and make a lead pencil."  Could they do it?
 I mean, do they even know that pencil lead isn't
lead?  That it is graphite and clay?  What is graphite
and where do you find it?  Can you make paint for the
wooden sleeve?  Can you even make the wooden sleeve.
How about finding iron ore and smelting the metal for
the eraser holder?  And where do rubber trees grow
anyway?

You get the point.

That to me, makes older technology as fascinating as
new technology!

Best,

rick