[Mgs] MGB O/D Driveshafts

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 09:01:31 MDT 2007

Hmmm, this is getting confusing.  I've spoken to one manufacturer who says
it is measured prop-shaft flange to prop-shaft flange fully compressed.
Then another says to take the prop-shaft off and measure gearbox flange to
axle flange, then he will make one to suit.  He said he would give it a
sliding joint of quote 1 3/4" to 2" and it would run in about the middle of
that unquote.  Now whilst I would be happy if the maximum compression left
1/8" to go, I certainly wouldn't be happy if the maximum extension only left
1/8" to go!  I tried to get a parts supplier to measure one for me but all
he would do is quote 31 1/8" for the 4-synch gearbox (correct) but didn't
know how it was measured!

The more I think about it flange to flange of the prop-shaft fully
compressed makes the most sense ... but then when did common sense rule in
our cars?  We need more examples or a definitive statement of how it is
measured, I find it difficult to believe that all of Bob's should be the
same but incorrect.