[Mgs] crossed drilled brake rotors

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Thu Sep 20 13:37:48 MDT 2007

 Bill,
    I have never understood how they would have much advantage. For
cooling, yes, there is additional metal exposed to air, but then the air
within the small holes would be pretty much dead air within the holes,
not being exchanged much for cooling, and if the purpose were to
dissipate vapors from the hot pads, the vapors would be trapped in the
holes during the time they were being clamped by the pads. .
    There is a firm advertising slotted rotors. These would appear to
have advantage, in that they could allow the vapors to squirt out the
slots and to allow dissipation of steam if the rotors and pads were wet.
How do slotted compare to drilled?
   Could you write more about these topics?
Bob