[Mgs] Replacing the solenoid on a '77

Scott Bonacker mgs at bonacker.us
Sun Sep 16 05:59:59 MDT 2007

Last night I ended up cutting the wires just behind the terminators and
installing new ones. There were one thick brown wire that I put a ring
connector on, and two thinner brown wires that I joined in a single ring
connector, and the other two brown wires were fitted with spade connectors
and I added a spade plate to the terminal to receive them.

The odd thing about the old bolt, and the reason why I couldn't turn the nut
off, was that it was about halfway down the threaded post and would turn
almost freely but not back off. I even gripped it with vise-grip pliers and
pulled strongly as I turned it to no effect. The threads were apparently
munged in a way that removed material from the post and filled in the
internal threading on the nut.

The good news is that it starts now! On the other hand, the next time there
is a electrical deficiency the first place I'll check is the new terminators
I installed.

Thanks for the advice,

Scott
'77 '73 '65