[Mgs] Back to work on the MG

Rick Lindsay rolindsay at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 18:02:18 MDT 2007

Hey Gang,

Got back to working on the MG today!  Its been WEEKS
since I could even get to the garage, let alone do
good work.  So here's the progress made today.  BTW, a
list-member has reminded me that everyone might not
appreciate the large size of the pictures that I store
on my website.  Please know that I use this website as
an off-site repository for my car pictures NOT a
website for publication.  If slow downloads of larger
images bother you, just please ignore this post.

First of all, here's the incredible mess in my garage
as I disassemble my MGB's chin.
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0751.JPG  At this stage I
have just removed the lower spoiler, bumper, grill,
horns and some of the lighting.  There are lots of
things bent, surface rusted and poorly repaired.

http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0754.JPG and
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0753.JPG are other looks
at the front end but at this stage I have straightened
the bent metal and ground away the rust on the lower
lip.  I've also touched up some of the red paint
around the headlight mounting hole.  The lip where the
chin spoiler mounts is now ready for primer.

Here's another look at the front end opening, again
ready for primer http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0752.JPG
.  The PO painted the engine bay black even though the
car was green-then-yellow-then-red.  I am about ready
to prime this area and paint it red.  And before
anyone says anything rude, yes I have removed the
commission plate and will replace it with a fresh
plate stamped with the correct commission number - and
the "negative earth" and emissions labels.  Its the
little things that make the new paint 'pop',
independent of "the rules".

Here's a closer look at the opened side of the
lighting http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0755.JPG .  The
color is distorted by the flash causing the paint to
appear milky and pale.  The car is actually vivid red.

Here's the other side, basically ready to begin
disassembly (and a little paint and body work)
http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0756.JPG .

Regards,

rick happy-to-be-back-in-the-garage lindsay
'03 L-R DII
'98 M-B SL500
'79 308GTB
'70 MGB