[Mgs] Weber carb info

Ed Woods fogbro1 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 21 21:56:55 MDT 2007

List,

Well, after removing, dismantling, cleaning, reassembling, and reinstalling
the Weber downdraft to my friend's '77 MGB, I can report no change in
symptoms whatsoever. I found the carb to be relatively clean, with only a
skim of rusty sediment in the float chamber.

Idle is still rough and irregular, rough enough to cause the oil pressure
gauge to fluctuate. Steady running still experiences missing at any steady
engine speed, parked or driving. It does appear to smooth out during
acceleration, perhaps when the secondary is open.

Present ignition system is the new, self containing Pertronix with mating
coil. Plugs and wiring are new. Compression is great and even. Valves are
set. Plugs are new.

After years of sitting, enough to dry whatever was in the tank, I added 5
gallons of fresh fuel along with a carb cleaner.

How can such a simple instrument behave this badly?

Thoughts?

Do I tell the guy to buy a new Weber? Is it the Weber? Do I spend a day
putting a pair of SU's on this thing as a test?

TIA,

Ed Woods