[Mgs] Thanks

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 02:46:19 MDT 2007

I've see 'blanking sleeve' applied to two different things.  One is on an A
and possibly a 3-bearing B and restricts the flow of coolant through a port
which bypasses the thermostat to give a quicker warm-up.  I'm not sure
whether this is relevant to 5-bearing Bs.  The other is a restrictor used
*in place of* the thermostat, to restrict the flow of coolant through the
engine and radiator to that which would occur if a thermostat were fitted
and fully open.  These are often used by racers as the thermostat is
superfluous but could stick closed.  Running without one of these *or* a
thermostat causes a greater coolant flow rate through the engine, which
causes turbulence, which can result in local recirculation and hot-spots.
But for the purposes of brief testing when looking into a possible hot
running problem this restrictor isn't required, although one can be
fashioned out of an old thermostat by removing the spring and pellet and
just leaving the disc.