[Mgs] Bentley's electrical connection

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Oct 3 01:57:19 MDT 2007

I was under the impression that the Bentleys series were American reprints
of the Leyland (or whatever) originals.  My 1976 issue of the Leyland
Workshop Manual has 11 pages for UK cars pretty-well annually up to 1977 and
for North American variations 8 pages up to 73-74.  And therein seems to lie
the problem - for some reason a specific manual year seems to have the North
American diagrams lagging behind.

For circuit diagrams you really need to get the latest version of the
manual, which if like the Leyland contains all the information for the
previous years, plus major mechanical differences.  However some small
mechanical differences from one year to another may only appear as changed
information in that years manual, and not as a variation, i.e. the earlier
version is 'lost' in the later manuals.  But having said that I've never had
a problem using my 76 manual for my 73 car.  However the problem with buying
the latest Bentley package to get the latest diagrams is that you will then
end up with the wrong version of the drivers handbook etc. that are part of
the package.  A case for buying the manual and handbook separately.

The upshot is that my 76 Leyland book has 73/74 North American diagram,
which I'll scan and send to you separately.