[Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts

mgs at bonacker.us mgs at bonacker.us
Sat Nov 24 08:49:08 MST 2007

> If you have a slim spanner (or grind one down)
> you should be able to
undo the nut turning the
> spanner over for each half-flat.  One it is

loose you can remove the bolts securing
> the mount to the engine front
plate and spin
> the mount out of the nut.  Replacement is the
> reverse
of removal, wedge/stick the nut and
> washers to the spanner, carefully
insert the
> mount and turn it to engage the threads, spin
> it most of
the way in, attach to the engine
> front plate, and tighten the chassis
mount nut
> using the 'half a flat at a time' technique.

Paul -
With
regards to the spinning - there is a 'dimple' of sorts pressed into the mount
metal that ends up being opposite of the stud that attaches to the car frame.
The hole in the dimple made me think that it was attached to the engine with
bolt. It sounds now like there may be a lug or a catch of some kind that will
lift out when the engine is raised. In that case the only two fastenings for
each mount are to the engine front plate.

> I'd much prefer that to
disturbing the rack.

I think I'll respect your advice and leave the rack
another time. I did find some useful information on steering racks though,
which reinforces the suggestion that this is a task to be left to itself so
it
can be done thoroughly -

http://www.chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/a_rack/
http://www.mgexperience.net/article/mgoc-basic-3.html
http://www.mgexperience.net/article/steering-rack-service.html
http://www.mgexperience.net/article/front-suspension.html
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgoc&p=emg/steer.htm
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/sr101.htm
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/namgbr/techtips.htm

And there is bound to be
more,
and I am always interested in hearing about it.

Scott
'65B with
potential,
'77B driver and a '73 donor