[Mgs] Raising motor to change mounts

mgs at bonacker.us mgs at bonacker.us
Fri Nov 23 15:25:56 MST 2007

>I shouldn't lift on the oil pan, but how about putting blocking
> under
the front edge of the oil pan or the belt pulley?

>>You can safely jack
under the oil pan as long as you use a
>>heavy (at least 3/4" ply) piece of
wood that goes all the way
>>across the bottom - AND you make sure you
aren't trying to
>>jack up an engine that is still attached when you do it.
That's three votes now for a timber under the oil pan with a bottle jack.
That
sounds way easier to me.

Now as I look at it I can't see how to get the
nut
off of the drivers side mount where it attaches to the frame. The steering
shaft is so much in the way that it looks like it will take at least two
dogleg wrenches to get in there. So I suppose I'll need to drop the rack and
pinion to remove the shaft.

I've had two rack boots for a while thinking I
would replace those while I'm at it. Then no telling what else I might notice
when the rack comes off. Maybe I should just drop the cross member while I am
at it.

Is this the shipwright's disease I've heard about?

A member of
my
local club once said he would come over and help me convert to dual carbs
some
"afternoon". Jon - if you're reading this, it's not turning out to be that
easy.

The instructions for removing the steering rack in the shop manuals
have seem a little vague. Does anyone know of something more detailed?
Scott
'65B with potential, '77B driver and a '73 donor