[Mgs] questions about '78 MG Midget

Eric J Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Sun Nov 18 09:56:46 MST 2007

A friend has asked me to resurrect a 1978 MG Midget that has sat
un-used for a few years. His hope is to have a decent driver. It
appears quite rust-free and deserves to be driven.

MGA's I know. MGB's I know. But I've never owned a Midget. Any
gotcha's to be aware of?

My plan is to clean it up, change all fluids, fresh gasoline, adjust
timing & valves, rebuild the carb and the brake system (IMO a car that
won't start is inconvenient but a car that won't stop is deadly) and
give it a go.

It has the single S-Z carb. I'm not sure if it has an auto or manual
choke. I'd prefer a manual choke. Can the auto be (easily) changed to
manual?

Is there a better option for carburation - similar to back-dating our
'78 MGB to dual SU's?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell