[Mgs] Exploding Batteries

Wilkmanracing at aol.com Wilkmanracing at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 11:10:51 MST 2007

It doesn't take much of a spark to cause a battery to explode.  Years  ago I
was a student in a class on auto electronics.  The instructor was
demonstrating an electrical concept using a battery for power.  A small  spark, created
when he disconnected a component caused the battery to explode,  showering the
class with acid and battery shards.  Fortunately, nobody was  hurt.  However,
my down jacket later developed an interesting pattern of  holes.  I also
remember when, as a lad at the local foreign car garage, I  used to use a device
that measured current in battery cells by bridging a tool,  made for the
purpose, across the exposed lead connectors on the top of the  batteries of the day.
I generated lots sparks as I wiggled the tool for  the best possible
connection.  Why I still have a face is beyond  me....

Bill Wilkman
USA