[Mgs] Old Gas

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 10:53:49 MST 2007

Hmmm, my thinking was that carburetors, particularly the spectacularly
simple SUs, would be far less likely to have problems with sludge, water, or
jellied gasoline than fuel injectors. After all, all we hear on gasoline
commercials is how their "special ingredients" clean injectors and valves,
leading one to believe that these engines are susceptible to these problems.
I mean, oil companies wouldn't lie to us, would they?

I might also point out that disassembly and cleaning of the MG's fuel system
is probably a lot simpler and less expensive than the same process on a
minivan or a Lexus. For just one example, many Hondas have a
"semi-permanent" fuel filter mounted in an inaccessible location beneath the
rear seat. Engine access on minivans is notoriously constricted. And the
fuel pumps in many modern vehicles are actually submerged in the fuel tank,
making replacement or service inconvenient.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149