[Mgs] MGB Mk I Gas Tank Question

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 10:07:26 MST 2007

I don't know, I think I'd want a strainer in the tank. The fuel filter is
way past the fuel pump, which has a screen that could get clogged by debris.
Better to keep the crud in the tank, and there always seems to be some;
whether it's rust, the tank's inner coating flaking off, contaminated fuel,
or introduced objects (as Rick describes).

As for the "old gas" question, the only way to get rid of it is to burn it
off, one way or another. Dilute it with new gas and use it in your lawnmower
(I suspect Phil's problem was more due to the oil separating out of the mix
than to "old" gas). Or just fill up the tank and go -- half-and-half with
new gas should be fine -- MGs aren't finicky like EFI vehicles.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149