[Mgs] Welded rear axle? Need advice

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Thu Nov 8 15:36:50 MST 2007

Matt:

I can't think of too many things that would be more fun to do.

I am not an expert, so I'm open to over ride. From the little experience
I've had with welded rear axles, they don't seem to be the best setup
for Auto X. You will have enough power to light up the tires, so it is
an option, but spinning the tires to get the car to go round tight auto
x turns then trying to get bite out of the turn is a tricky technique.
Any chance of swapping in a cheap (used) limited slip rear end from
something?
Welded rears are most effective when you have a little bit more time to
get the back end wrung out in the correct direction. I learnt this when
the pro rally car I was co-driving drove head on into a fence post
because the driver hadn't had a chance to get the back end of the car
around in time.

I'd also suggest checking out the back issues of GRM to see what luck
others have had on the challenge with welded rears. The combination of
drag race and autox makes it important to get a balance.

Kelvin. FWIW