[Mgs] valve cover gasket

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Mon Nov 5 08:04:16 MST 2007

Matt,
    You will get plenty of opinions on this question.
    What I do is to use permatex on the gasket surface that fits into the
rocker cover, then clamp in place for a few minutes while the goo sets.
There is a tendency for gasket to move out of the little guides when
cover is being installed, and the permatex keeps it in place.  I do not
use permatex on the surface that contacts the head.
     Done this way, you can remove the cover several times for valve
adjustments w/o damaging the cork gasket.
     If you have been having bad leaks, check that the valve cover is not
distorted. Putit onto a flat surface and check that it sets flat.
(Kitchen counters are good)
Bob