[Mgs] Electric Fans

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 26 08:27:23 MDT 2007

I'd agree with the general pros and cons of mechanical and electrical fans
already expressed.  But unless you really do need additional cooling through
very extreme operating conditions, or need every little performance gain for
competition use, it just isn't worth the time and effort converting to
electric.  When everything is working properly both types keep their cool,
including in desert states.  When set up correctly electric fans are also
yet another source of paranoia i.e. seeing the temp gauge rise above normal
(which is what the factory system is designed to do), plus worries about
whether it is going to switch on or not.  This is why modern cars control
the temp gauge through the ECU, only allowing abnormal variations to show on
the gauge, otherwise keeping it stuck firmly on 'N'.

I have one of each, and the one with electric has always been more of a
concern and source of problems.