[Mgs] Performance oil systems

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Thu Jun 21 11:33:13 MDT 2007

James:

I just happened to have a copy of "How to Power Tune Rover V8" by Des
Hammill on my desk as I was looking up oil pump information. BTW. I
highly recommend the book.

The recommendation pretty much follows that on the SEight site. Stick a
plate across the pan with a hole in it for the pickup.

He does note that most commercial modified pans start with the Range
Rover pan which has much thicker material. The downside of that pan is
that the oil drain plug is situated and threaded such that on a lowered
car it can loosen if bumped.

He does follow up with the point that on very long turns enough oil can
be thown away from the pickup that even in a baffled pan of this type
the pickup can go dry. I don't believe this would be an issue with
autox. though.

One point I'd make from personal experience. Be diligent with any kind
of sheet metal work inside the pan. The extremes of heat can cause
cracking of any large surfaces of metal hard fastened to the pan. Take
into account expansion and contraction as I've seen more than one home
brewed windage tray badly cracked upon engine tear down.

Kelvin Dodd

On
> Behalf Of James Nazarian
> Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2007 9:36 PM
> To: mgs at autox.team.net
> Subject: [Mgs] Performance oil systems
>
> I tried this on the V8 list a couple of weeks ago but it didn't go
> anywhere
> useful so I'd like to ask this list for some help.  My BGT V8 is
mostly an
> autocross car.  Unfortunately, during autocross, I'm uncovering the
oil
> pickup and starving the engine for oil.  I'm trying to find
information
> about wet sump oil systems for high performance engines.  I'm not
opposed
> building an oil pan, I just want to know what to build.  I guessed
once
> and
> that was not effective.  Does anyone have any advice, or can they
point me
> to information that might be helpful?  I don't have the
time/money/space
> in
> car to design a dry sump system, and I'm considering an accusump, but
I'd