[Mgs] MGB Cruising Speed.

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Wed Jun 20 07:28:58 MDT 2007

Jack,
    The MGB travels about 18 MPH / 1000 rpm in 4th speed, and 22 MPH/
1000 rpm in 4th overdrive.
    3500 rpm in OD will be 77 mph.
     Once upon a time a piston speed of 2500 ft / min was considered max
safe speed for long distances. I don't know if that is still considered
valid, but 2500 ft/min is about 4300 rpm.  The engine won't break at that
speed; MG red-lined at 5500 or so.
     It's something of a question of the rate of wear one is willing to
accept.  Kept to 3500 rpm most times, you can probably expect about
100,000 miles before cylinder wear would be an issue of concern, and
that's a lot of driving miles for most of us.
     I run the car pretty much with the flow of traffic. Here in CT, that
is 65-70 most weekdays, and 70+ when the traffic is heavier as on
weekends and holidays.  My concern is of being run over from behind more
than damage to the engine at 75 mph.
Bob