[Mgs] (no subject)

Richard Feibusch rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 28 19:48:52 MDT 2007

Guys,

I have used Maaco a number of times - pay the extra and buy the best paint - depending how much body work is done, consider having them also spray on  the primer sealer - the paint does come out glossier - I once brought the Long Beach Maaco a some VERY expensive German Glasso paint metallic blue and white to paint a 57 Ford retractable and they did a fabulous job - I mean, if a guy paints 10 cars a day, he gets pretty good after a few weeks and is a real pro after a few months - we didn't even have to colour sand it except a few spots, just buffed it out and put back the chrome. It came out so nice that it won a number of awards. My friends have done Morris Minors and MGAs at the same shop and they came out great but they didn't use the $200/gallon German paint which does make a difference - California now demands water based paints and, while they are not as bad as they once were, are not as good as imported enamel - shops are allowed to use a small amount of non-complying paint (so many gallons a month) for "touch ups" so sometimes they will spray what you brought in - usually the painter marvels at how well the paint lays on without running. Today's painters are now used to two step - lay down the colour evenly - sand out the dirt and runs - spot as necessary - pour on the clear for gloss. Looks OK, but not to an old guy who knows the difference - I still like nitro-celulouse lacquer - easy to spot - easy to shine - but alas, no more.

Best,
Rick Feibusch