[Mgs] 74 MGB - quick resto for resale

Richard Feibusch rfeibusch1 at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 28 11:36:58 MDT 2007

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:29:19 +0000
From: cyberemp at comcast.net
Subject: [Mgs] options for lowering 74.5 mgb?
To: mgs at autox.team.net (MG LIST)

Greeting -0-list.
I'm prepping the 74.5 mgb before taking it to "affordable" paint shop. We'll see if a paint job really is 90% prep work when it's finished. I'm going BRG rather than stock white, I'm thinking that the 74.5 (dual carb. rubber bumper car) should be fairly easy to lower to the chrome bumper height. What are the options for lowering this car?

Some suggestions:

Don't do the colour change - it will make your cheaper paint job be more obvious - pay them the difference to match the stock colour if one off of the wall is not an exact match - White somehow tones down the Autumn Leaf (orange!) seats.  We used to have a 73 that was teal/aut leaf, as in bright blue and orange - I changed the interior to black - I use Maaco and have found them the best of the production painters - have those stupid bumpers painted with a coat of shiny new black rubber paint. weld on a simple straight chrome exhaust tip - buy a new MG plastic badge for the bootlid and a new set of trim rings and center cap decals from Moss if yours are not perfect (unless you have wire wheels). details are what people notice - lowering costs more than it is worth in resale - use 2" blocks on the rear and earlier springs on the front - clean and detail the underhood and boot area as much as you can.

Get a GB oval plate for the back - It looks sooooo British and balances off the gas cap so well. Consider those little metal Union Jack badges that screw to the car - put them below the chrome strip just ahead of each door. Details sell.

My take - free advise is worth every penny you spend on it!

Best,
Rick Feibusch
British Car Network
Venice Beach, California