[Mgs] A change to my SL500 - NMGC, NFC

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 24 11:20:54 MDT 2007

That's a good point, But I don't think it's an issue with the slim-spoked,
forged wheels, so much as with the wildly-styled chrome rims you see on
Escalades and such.

I remember when Vintage Motorsport did a tire comparison on a Volvo sedan,
the "plus 2" alloy wheel and tire combo outweighed the stock steel rims and
skinny tires by 31 lbs PER WHEEL! Tha's a lot of rotating unsprung weight...

But, yes, when I see some really outrageous combo on a purported performance
vehicle, I feel like asking them, "What weighs less: aluminum, rubber, or
air?".

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149