[Mgs] B master cylinder

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jul 23 08:26:11 MDT 2007

A brake master consists of a cylinder and a piston.  The cylinder has two
ports in it - an inlet port that is only open when the piston is fully
released which lets fluid from the reservoir fill the cylinder, and an
outlet port that is 'open' all the time and is what the piston pushes fluid
out of to operate the brakes.  As soon as the piston starts to move the
inlet port is closed off by the piston so all the pressure is applied to the
outlet port.  So if no fluid is coming out of the outlet either it is
blocked, or the inlet port is blocked and not letting any fluid into the
cylinder.  Obviously the dual circuit with pressure differential switch is
more complicated, but I'd expect that with dismantling you should be able to
access and check both ports for each circuit.  From Haynes the rear section
seems to feed the front brakes and the front section the rears, and the two
pistons are not physically connected except by fluid, so it seems possible
that the front section could be empty of fluid i.e. its inlet port is not
allowing fluid in.  I take it there is enough fluid in the reservoir to fill
both sections?