[Mgs] Caliper installed

palte at gmx.net palte at gmx.net
Sat Jul 21 09:53:34 MDT 2007

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 17:51:27 -0700 (PDT)
Von: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay at yahoo.com>
An: MGS <mgs at autox.team.net>
Betreff: [Mgs] Caliper installed

> Hello Friends,
>    This afternoon I completed the rebuild of the left
> front caliper.  I have to admit, everything went
> together beautifully BUT the dust shield.  That is one
> REALLY difficult seal to install!  Still, I got both
> sides in.  From there on, the reinstallation was cake.
>  New hose, pads, etc.  Here's how it looks now:
> http://www.aubard.us/MGB/HPIM0724.JPG .  The color
> didn't turn out quite as I intended.  It was supposed
> to be a faux-yellow cad.  Still, the look isn't too
> distasteful.
>
> regards,
>
> rick

Hi Rick,

The trick is that you have to make a special tool on a lathe,
one part having a diameter just smaller than the piston so that it centers well in the bore for guidance, and further on an OD somewhat larger so that you can press the seal nicely and flat into its seat.

I designed and made one last year out of aluminium that worked just fine.
I don't have the part at hand or the dimensions here but if you want to, I can make some pics and give you the dimensions.

(Actually this was not for my MGB but rather for my 1972 Sunbeam Sceptre.
The brakes, I've been told, are the same as those on the MGB.
I also needed new pistons and bought them in Iran, where they made the same car up till 2005 named Peykan. My job happened to bring me there in 2006).

Bert
Holland