[Mgs] NGK plug heat ranges

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jul 20 09:57:52 MDT 2007

Are you trying to lower your under hood temps?  Cope with lower under hood
temps?  Changing the plug temp won't alter either of those, or be affected
by them.  It simply refers to how hot the plug tip is allowed to get inside
the cylinder i.e. at combustion temps.  The longer the nose the slower the
heat conduction into the head casting and the hotter the tip gets, and
conversely.  If plug fouling is a problem then one would go with a hotter
plug, whereas if tip burning is the problem one would go with a cooler.
Nowt to do with under hood temps.  According to
http://www.akamoto.co.uk/resource-spark-plugs.htm 7 *is* colder than 6, and
5 hotter.  Unless you have a modified engine plug burning (or fouling) which
might lead you to think you need a different temperature of plug will almost
certainly be due to some other problem in ignition or carburetion, not plug
temperature per se.