[Mgs] heater core leak advice

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Sun Jul 15 07:53:39 MDT 2007

On Jul 15, 2007, at 2:15 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> Not only that, but in the summer it is probably off i.e. not
> flowing any coolant anyway.  If your valve shuts off fully then you
> can get away with removing the left-hand (facing forwards)  hose
> i.e. the one that connects to the pipe by the rocker cover from the
> heater and plugging it with an old spark-plug and hose clip.

The valve is new within the last few years and does not leak, but
just to be safe, I completely bypassed the core anyway.  2 feet of
heater hose (more than required) and two bypass caps are less than $5
and the job is done.

My concern re: the heater was not as much providing heat to the
cabin, but to provide additional cooling capacity to the engine.  It
was never a particularly effective option in the past, but I felt
safer having it.

> If your summer is anything like ours i.e. raining every day you
> might need to clear the screen from time to time, but the air
> direction and flow will be just the same, and cold air is actually
> better at that than hot anyway.

Pullman is in a rain shadow.  Our summer is typically highs from
85-100, lows 50-60.  The only rain is in the form of thunderstorms,
which bring with them hail and often fire.

We do see rain fairly often in the spring, but that's passed.

Of course, I'll be driving to California along the coast highway.  I
fully expect to see plenty of fog and some rain.  The return will be
on the eastern side of the Oregon Cascades, so I expect a hot and dry
trip.

I think I got the timing back where it belongs, so I'll go out and
test it later today when it warms up.  It's only 57 now, hardly
stressful temperatures.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/
  '75 MGB (red for now), HIF4 carbs