[Mgs] MGA crossflow head

Phil Bates jello at ida.net
Fri Dec 28 08:49:47 MST 2007

I need to rebuild my MGA engine.  It's actually a 3 main B motor.  I was
thinking about upgading to a cross-flow head, higher compression pistons,
and possibly a hotter cam ... BUT wanted to find out if anyone out there
has "been there done that" on an MGA.  I looked at Barney's page - there
was one picture of it (with injection - and one with webers, but I
couldn't tell for sure it was an MGA).  My major concern is this - I live
in a cold climate, and need the heater for mornings.  With the carb
relocation to the other side, I'm not sure how I'd get fresh air to the
heater.  I'm also not sure about the heater valve situation, or the access
to the distributor (I would probably retain my points ignition - simple
reliable, easy to fix in a pinch).  The MGB wouldn't be too hard to deal
with, but the MGA's engine compartment is significantly tighter.

Anyone have experience with an MGA and the Crossflow head?

Phil Bates
'58 MGA
'67 MGB
misc other stuff