[Mgs] brakes

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Tue Dec 4 08:29:20 MST 2007

Jim,
   Well, it _should_ be simple and straightforward, yet ofttimes it's
not.
   How old are these hoses?  If they are aged and the inside liner is
sloughing off, it can act as a one-way valve that can cause hard
pedal/soft pedal feel without leaking a drop. The braided lines should
not expand under pedal pressure, but the one at the right might be doing
it.
   Internal leaks in a MC are not unknown, though uncommon.   The
two-line,  non-servo MCs seem to be more troublesome than others, but
check other things before assigning fault to this.
   Is the fluid clean in appearance?  If it's black and nasty-looking,
there could be crud in it that causes the cups to fail to seal tight in
the bore.
   Is there any leakage at the brake inbalance switch? Have you checked
for a pinched metal line on the rear axle?  Any twists in the metal lines
at compression fittings?
    Most of the MGB owners in our club bleed brakes as you do.  I like to
use a syringe (suction bleeding) at each bleed screw.  Both methods work,
but I like to see the fluid as it is pulled out, checking for sediment
and signs of water.
Bob