[Mgs] brakes

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Tue Dec 4 08:04:26 MST 2007

I think the key is trying to isolate the area of the brakes where the
symptom first appears or maybe some other sign. My 72B had a similar
problem where air was re-entering the system that I had a hell of a time
finding. But when re-bleeding the system several times, I noticed that
the bleeding of the passenger rear circuit was the one where the stream
picked up air and was a bit weaker ejecting brake fluid. I finally found
an extremely small pin hole on the metal line circling the rear axle -
small enough that there was a very minimal amount of brake fluid
seepage, just enough to mark the hole.

One test you can do is when you start having brake problems again, drive
over to the nearest dirt road (I live on one so its easy for me). Get
going maybe 10 mph or more then hit on the brakes enough to lock them up
and see from the read marks which brakes are working on which ones are
not or are weaker. With a 70B, dual master cylinder, you should still be
able to at least determine if its front or rear brakes. Master cylinder
problems would normally effect both rears, both fronts, or the entire
system. If its line problems, you can isolate the area this way.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B