[Mgs] Advice wanted on MGB Brake Master Cylinder

Councill, David dcouncill at msubillings.edu
Wed Aug 22 15:40:01 MDT 2007

I have done several master cylinders. The one presently in my 72B I have
owned for 25 years (was previously in my 71 BGT) and I have rebuilt it
three times over those years.

I am not sure about documenting it because it is hard to picture the
inside of the bore. But as far as the delrin spacer, I have ended up
destroying it to get it out but it comes with a replacement in the
master cylinder rebuild kit. I recall cutting it with a small, sharp
edged flat screwdriver to get it out. But once you get past that
obstacle, Kelvin mentions the next dreaded step - the clip. It's a bit
tricky to get the clip ring pressed (due to being deep in the bore) so
it comes out of its groove.

It's a tough job the first time you do one, but after that you know what
you face and you get a bit better at getting the spacer and the clip
out. Then there is always the chance that once you get it apart, you
realize that the bore has corrosion or rough spots. Then you would have
to end up buying a new master cylinder anyway and all that time would be
wasted.

Otherwise, besides the spacer and the snap ring, its pretty straight
forward.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B