[Mgs] Weber carb info

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 22:12:29 MDT 2007

Ed,
The carb is probably a 32/36DGV series.  A very common conversion in the mid
to late 1980s for post 1975 Bs, and Spitfires.  When set up properly IMHO it
is far superior to the Penis Stromberg the car came with.
The running condition you are describing sounds like there may be a vacuum
leak somewhere.  Before tearing the carb apart, check for vacuum leaks, and
remedy those first.
Once you are sure there are no vacuum leaks, then set the float level on the
carb before you go any further.  There are two different settings, one for a
brass float, and one for a composition float.  It's been 25 years since I
had my hands on a DGV and I just don't recall the specifications any
longer.  Sorry.  15mm and 45 mm seems to ring a bell, but I will be damned
if I can recall which float this is for, or even if it is for a DGV, or a
DCOE.
One thing that is different about DGV from a carb on an American car is that
the screw that you would consider a mixture screw for idle isn't.  It is an
air corrector screw.  With the proper idle jets installed, it should be
about 1 turn out from fully closed for best operation.  If you have to go
much over or under 1 turn to get a good idle, you have the wrong size idle
jet in the carb.
If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer them to the
best of my ability.
Good Luck
Rick