[Mgs] Need info on original 1968-71 MGB fog lamp switch

Dodd, Kelvin doddk at mossmotors.com
Wed Aug 8 10:57:43 MDT 2007

Hans:

It confuses the heck out of me too. I've been meaning to rewire my throw
down daily driver so the foglights come on with the sidelamps the way
God intended them to. I've no concept who came up with the idea that
they had to come on with the headlamps, but that's DOT for you.

But then I'm also astonished at the complete lack of thought shown by
some drivers in America.

For many years I was furious that the DOT would not allow rear fog lamps
on US cars as they were determined to be hazardous if used incorrectly.
After driving in the UK, I was sold on how effective they were.

Finally the DOT relented and we can finally get rear fog lights but time
after time I see idiots driving down the freeway at night in perfect
weather with them on. Makes me mad enough to almost want to ram them.

I hate the thought of more regulations and policing, but in cases such
as this I come close to wishing for more enforcement.

Seriously, I've come to the conclusion that it's a good thing brake
lights are automatic otherwise it would be carnage out there.

I have noticed the serious problems with defective turn signals on many
newer BMW and Mercedes cars. It makes even Lucas look dependable.

Kelvin Dodd