[Mgs] The Continuing Quest to Cool my MGA

Max Heim max_heim at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 5 18:06:23 MDT 2007

If his coolant temp is actuallly reaching 212 at speed, changing the
thermostat to a lower temp will make no difference.

I keep seeing this misconception, again and again. Look, people -- if your
coolant temperature NEVER EXCEEDS the rating of your thermostat, then yes,
the thermostat is the controlling factor. But guess what -- if that were the
case, you wouldn't have an overheating problem, would you? The temperature
would not be exceeding 190, or 180, or whatever.

If the temperature DOES exceed the rating of the thermostat, than the
thermostat is NOT a factor (except in the rare case where a faulty
thermostat is stuck closed or partially closed). So changing to a lower
temperature rated thermostat will have NO EFFECT on the problem.

'nuff said.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149