[Mgs] The Continuing Quest to Cool my MGA

Wilkmanracing at aol.com Wilkmanracing at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 10:20:31 MDT 2007

I have benefited in the past from this group's sage advice regarding MGA
cooling.  To remind those who may not recall, I have an MGA 1600 with an  engine
that has just been overhauled and given some mild performance mods by a
reputable British car performance shop.  I'm a little concerned about the  engine
temps I'm seeing and am seeking to cool things down a bit.   Interestingly, at
idle, the car maintains a temp below 190, but when run at road  speed, it's
temp raises to above the 200 degree mark.  Last night in air  temps of about 85
degrees, I ran the car up a steady hill of about 4  miles.  Some traffic
lights interrupted my run, but when the car was able  to move freely, I was doing
40 mph average.  By the time I hit the top of  the hill, the temp gauge read
212 degrees.  On the way back down the other  side of the hill, the temp dropped
to about 190 degrees and when I got home,  after a mile or so of flat land
driving, it was hovering around 200.  I've  replaced the gauge, and have tested
it with a container of hot water using a  probe thermometer as a baseline.
There is no loss of water, boil over etc,  so it's not at an extreme end.  I
really haven't given it an "acid test"  though, so I don't know what it would do
under really extreme conditions.

I'm thinking of ordering from Moss, a radiator shroud, felt pad for the
bonnet (the old one is gone), water wetter, and an oil cooler.  With regard  to
the oil coolers, they offer models with from 10 to 19 rows.  I'd  appreciate any
thoughts as to the potential effectiveness of these items.   Also, where
should the timing be set?  I'm thinking this may be a factor  too.

Thanks in advance for your sage advice.

Bill Wilkman