[Mgb-v8] [Mgs] Repair or replace Radiator?

Barrie Robinson barrie at look.ca
Thu Aug 26 12:49:00 MDT 2010

Larry,

When I put my Rover V8 in the MGB I was aware of the cooling problems
but found there was not enough space for a BIG electric fan for when
car was stationary.  Solved that with shortened water pump (down to
3" fat) and in went a 14" 2,950 CFM industrial Perm-Cool.  But later
I had an aluminium rad fitted too.  Many moons later I had it in a
shop who knew about Edelbrock 1404 carbs (no one in this area has any
idea of "old" carbs!!!) and determined my timing and settings sucked
(a technical term I use rarely).   So he did wonders to the
smoothness and response of the engine.....................but he took
out the 14" and put in a smaller shrouded fan much to my
dismay.  However, all seems to be well except I do not think the
smaller fan copes as well in hot traffic snarl ups - so I may put 14"
back as it can do no harm - only good.

At 08:18 AM 8/26/2010, Larry wrote:
>It may be part of what Barrie mentioned, different materials, but I know the
>"new" MX cores often used to not cool as well as even a stock old MG core if
>in good shape.
>
>When I put the 302 in my car I "knew" up front I was going to have to recore
>my radiator, every article, review, person I talked to said it was just part
>of the swap.  Well I happen to have a Rad pro right around the corner and
>got VERY lucky.  This is one of those guys that has been doing rads for
>30+yrs and is one of the few left in this state due to EPA issues..

Regards,

Barrie Robinson
barrie at look.ca
705-721-9060
MGB GT V8  in great nick
Aston Martin 1955 DB 2/4 MkII under restoration
http://www.britishv8.org/MG/BarrieRobinson.htm
www.britcot.com