[Mgb-v8] [Mgs] Fitting a radio

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri May 22 09:13:23 MDT 2009

The factory fitted them in the doors when they started doing so.  My V8 came
to me with them installed in the trim panels immediately behind the seats.
Did require a bit of metal cutting to have flush-mounted there, but as it is a
GT that wasn't an issue whereas it might not be ideal in a roadster.  Surface
mounted would fit there of course, and possibly in the footwells.  My roadster
came to me with flush-mounted installed in the rear bulkhead i.e protruding
into the boot, which is probably as good a place as any after the doors.
Probably not a good idea to fit flush mounted in the footwell as the back of
the speakers would be in the space behind the splash panel behind the wheels,
which isn't the driest part of the car!  You would also have to be sure they
were far enough forwards to avoid the A-pillar box section where the hinges
are, which is probably a worse area to cut into than behind the B-pillar.  My
V8 has central locking, with flex following the line and curvature of the top
hinge on each side, and I've not had a problem with that in many years.  In
fact as I recall the door casing already had a grommetted hole by those hinges
anyway (75).  MP3 stick is definitely the way to go, I swapped the 6 CD
auto-changer radio in my 2004 ZS for one with a USB socket, the stick
containing the equivalent of dozens of music CDs.

PaulH.