[Mgb-v8] Rover engine number

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 01:44:17 MDT 2008

Some more info from Roger Parker who has a great deal of experience with these
engines:

"I can't be certain but fully expect the number is one specific for the MOD
engines as a completely separate stand alone series.

"4860 is the correct engine prefix code just for the MGB GTV8, whilst RV8 used
48A. although some of the early RV8 dev cars had a 47A engine code along with
an SPL VIN prefix."

Normally, and unlike the 4-cylinder engines with a removable tag, the V8
engine number is stamped into the edge of the flange the bell-housing bolts up
to, near the top left (facing forwards) corner.  Whilst this means it cannot
be 'lost' like the tag can, I suppose it could be ground back and restamped
for good or evil reasons.

Paul.