[Mgb-v8] Fuel Pump Woes

Rick Huber hubrick at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 19:37:42 MDT 2008

Hi V8ers,
I have a 75 MGB Rover 3.5 V8.  I've been running the Borg Warner EP-10 fuel
pump for 9 years, mounted on the underside of the panel just in front of the
gas tank, just above the rear axle, so fuel pump above the tank.  In July,
the fuel pump quit.  I called several parts stores looking for the BW EP-10,
which is not made anymore, but Napa cross referenced it to something they
carried.  I don't have the box anymore, but the label on the pump is Carter
with two numbers, P61296S, and 08C04A.  Swapped pumps and the new one lasted
about 50 miles.  Checked everything in the system before determining that
indeed the brand new fuel pump was bad, wouldn't even pump gas out of a jar
on the floor of the garage after removing it.  Took it back to Napa and got
another new one, assuming the pump was bad.  Changed inlet hose,
connections, blew back into the tank, put on another upstream filter.
Second Napa pump lasted about 300 miles, one drive past a weekend trip with
the club from Baton Rouge to Natchez for the Natchez/Vidalia car show.
Talked to a few people, and someone suggested a different brand, different
store, so I went to Auto Zone and got the Airtex E8016S.  Got home and took
it out of the box, and it looks identical to the Carter.

I've put it on the car, but I have a feeling it's only going to last a very
short time, so I'm ready to try something different.  Is the problem that
these new pumps won't suck gas out of the tank when mounted above the tank?
Can I get a different pump that I can mount in the same location that will
suck gas out of the tank?  I can change the mounting location of the Airtex
pump, but that sounds like a pain if I could just swap the pump again in the
same location. I've heard of the little square pumps - someone said to get
the low pressure version for a carburetted car. Anybody with a similar
experience?  Any solutions?

Thanks,

Rick Huber
Safety Faster with a V8