[Mg-t] Just because...

John Seim kingseim at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 26 07:44:05 MDT 2013

The banjo without the gauge tap should be at the head.
Early TD engines had the oil line without any gauge tap. One of the banjo
bolts had the gauge tap, and that was installed into the head position.
Wanting a truer oil pressure reading, they decided to take the reading from
the block.

Check the banjo bolt fittings, to see if they have been filled in with solder.
Many shops, not understanding that it was a worn rocker arm assembly, would
either fill the banjo bolt with solder, and then redrill a small oil passage
into it, or crimp the oil line between the block and the head, or, in one
case, they placed a plug into the cylinder head hole.

John Seim
Irvine, CA

On Sep 26, 2013, at 6:23 AM, Rick Lindsay wrote:

> ...a part came off in a certain orientation doesn't mean it is correct! PO's
(and Os) do many things incorrectly - self included.B

> Quick question for the XPAG gurus:
>
> The oil line from the block up to the head has a tap on one of the banjos
for the gauge. A parts diagram that I have seen shows that tap on the upper
banjo, the one at the head. When I got it, my engine had the tap at the
bottom, at the block. I reinstalled it that way but the new flexible oil line
appears too short. I haven't offered it up yet but I am concerned.B

> Please tell me which end of the line should be at the head; the banjo with
the gauge tap, or the one without it.