[Mg-t] Mg-t Digest, Vol 7, Issue 17

spook01@comcast.net spook01 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 8 20:39:15 MST 2013

The problem of course is that none of these products will stick to contaminated surfaces...like used iron that's been oiled.
If possible, get it welded ie. repaired properly.
Glenn loves marine tex, which is an epoxy good from -40 to +250 f.  JB weld is an epoxy good from -55 to +600 f.  There's a time limitation of 10 minutes at +600f....so no frying pan repair.
I've used both products.  For blocks, JB seems best, for other things, marine-tex works great.
I WILL say that I used JB to adhere a patch to the bottom of a gas tank.  After six years in constant direct contact with gasohol (10%), the patch leaked.
Subsequently, I discovered that no epoxy is proof against what is marketed as "gas" today.  Just FYI.  It's not the gas, or the alcohol; its the chemicals added to make the two blend.
Again, nothing sticks to contaminated surfaces.
But, in fact, you really should weld it up and then forget it.
Glenn, maybe you should have used chewing gum on that cane!  :-)

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone