[Mg-t] Steering Rack Issue

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Mon Oct 10 07:18:37 MDT 2011

---------- Original Message ----------
From: S Allen <s4usea at yahoo.com>
To: mg-t at autox.team.net
Cc: mg-t at team.net
Subject: [Mg-t] Steering Rack Issue
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 06:18:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Scott,
  If this sticking releases with a "snap", I would be very concerned that
there is something jamming the gear teeth.
  I think John's advice is good to follow, checking free movement of the
swivel pins and column, and when the tie-rod ends are disconnected, you can
move the steering wheel & rack to feel the rack's action.
Bob

Hi,

When I take more than a 90 degree left turn my steering rack sticks.  I can
"snap" it back out if I give it a hard left followed by a right, nut at speed
it'll be dangerous.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or has an idea where I
should look for the cause of the problem.

I regularly lube the rack, to include using gear oil in it rather than grease
as some people mistakenly do.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Allen

'52 TD