[Mg-t] trouble starting

Lawrie Alexander lawrie at britcars.com
Sun Jul 17 21:05:15 MDT 2011

Oliver,

The new fuels which have ethanol in them vaporize more easily than gas used
to. The heat of the engine is transmitted via the manifold studs directly
into the carburetors so you end up trying to re-start the engine with fuel
that's not mixing with the air the way it should. This problem has affected
lots of folks in recent years.

The cure I've found is to insulate the carbs from the manifold with spacers
like the TF, MGA, MGB, etc. used. If you have 1-12" carbs you can use TF
spacers and studs to replace the TD bolts (and new gaskets, of course). If
you have 1-1/4" carbs, I have a local supplier of the correct size spacers
which we had made up to solve this very problem on TCs and TDs. They're not
cheap ($30 a pair, as they were custom-made in a small run) and you still
need to buy 4 gaskets and studs and nuts, but they really do eliminate the
problem.

Lawrie