[Mg-t] TD Questions

Mark Stolzenburg stolzy40 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 28 09:53:33 MST 2010

A few weeks ago I sent a note to the list(s)
asking questions about a TD Mark II that I had
volunteered to work on to help a local museum to
get it up and running. First of all, I would like
to thank the many respondents for their help.
Through the suggestions received I was able to
locate an Andrex shock link (thanks to a referral
by Bobbie at Abingdon Spares and the efforts of
Lazar at Apple Hydraulics). I also found out that
an original air cleaner assembly for a Mark II is
made of a rare metal called unobtainium. My latest
questions are:
A.     I understand the Mark II rear bumper has 2
reflectors and a center plinth with the Mark II
designation.
1. Is the plinth available and if so what is the
source? (Im guessing this is also made of
unobtainium).
       2. The reflectors appear to be available
from Moss Motors. Could someone provide location
center points for mounting the reflectors?
B. Since the air cleaner assembly is not available
the next best alternative is the use of pancake
air cleaners.
         1. Who makes a pancake air cleaner that
will fit the Mark II application and if so where
are they available?
         2. Also what is the maximum thickness
that can be used or fits?
As an update: The gas thank sending unit float is
now working and installed right side up, and the
unit does not leak. Gas lines have been cleaned
out. Got the car running for the first time in the
approximately 9 years since the museum purchased
the car. And got the wiring sorted out so the turn
signal, low fuel and high beam lights work on the
dash. Many more items to do but were making
progress.
And for all of us MG nuts; while the museums (Kemp
Auto Museum) major attractions are old and
expensive Mercedes, one of the favorite
attractions for visitors (especially the females)
is the MG TD Mark II. The museum website is
http://www.kempautomuseum.org/
<http://www.kempautomuseum.org/> .
Thanks again,
Mark Stolzenburg