[Mg-t] dual brake system

Richard Kleihorst richard at kleihorst.com
Wed Apr 21 01:22:15 MDT 2010

Hi Charlie,

And that is what I don't understand, how come disc brakes give more braking
performance?
Apart from less prone to fading and dust, disc brakes should be worse than
drum brakes.

Drum brakes are self-powering, the leading shoe forces itself to the drum when
braking. Also the swept area is much larger than the pads of the disc brakes.
Disc brakes have less play in the system and that is what improves the feel.
But because of disc brakes they also had to introduce vacuum power boosters?
All large trucks/lorries are drum brakes because they give more braking
performance.

On my "old green rover" I have the stock drum brakes but I added a vacuum
booster (and modified to dual brakes) to even improve the pressure more. Now
even with heavy trailers,
it brakes strong.

On the MG-TD, If I wanted to keep the drum brakes but go to dual, the lines of
the rear and front are coming together close to the master, isn't it? So this
could be done without hacking the system.
Actually it is a pitty that MG went to hydraulic brakes so soon. The
advantages of a Singer roadster is that with its mechanical system, it brakes
even after staying for 10 years, the linkage just needs a lube and no
spilling, topping up checking of DOT3, LMA,...