[Mg-t] dual brake system

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 06:50:07 MDT 2010

I agree that it would certainly not be the first safety upgrade that I
would make and probably never do it.  The single thing that I've done to
the brakes on my TD that makes a large difference is to convert to front
disc brakes.  It was a night and day conversion and I had the
intermediate step of having MGA 1500 drum brakes on it for many years
which were better than the stock brakes.  When I converted to MGA 1600
disc brakes I went from driving on eggs, leaving large spaces between
the car ahead and me to driving it like my everyday car.  Actually the
large spaces ahead only encouraged other drivers to pull out in front of
me making it even less safe.
You can also convert a TD using MGB front discs, but it is more
difficult.  Either conversion is easiest if you also convert to wire
wheels which I did.
Charlie