[Mg-t] sump oil pick-up

Bob Howard mgbob at juno.com
Mon Jul 20 10:22:48 MDT 2009

Sarah,
  Is your TD sump one of the 'early" sumps, shaped like the one on p.13
of the workshop manual?
  TD "late" sumps were shaped like the one illustrated on p. A.34, where
there is space for the forward-facing extension.
  In the service parts list, it appears that the TD sump was changed at
engine #14948. As engine #s are usually just a couple of hundred #s
higher than car #s, your TD3 924EXLU would have had an engine with the
early sump. The late sumps are rectangular in profile viewed from the
side, while early sumps are shallow in front third and deeper in the
back.
  In the service parts book, # 168706 is "filter extension" that begins
with engine #15372.
Bob