[Mg-t] Axle or Differential

John Seim kingseim at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 23 10:18:01 MST 2009

Reason that the axles break are:
Poor design. The splines used to be cut into the axle. This created a
stress point where
the splines stopped at the axle shaft. Newer designs have the shaft
tapered to meet the
root of the splines. This moves the stress point farther along the axle
shaft, which is a good
thing.

Worn u-joints, flanges, splines on drive shaft. Sloppy u-joint fits on
a driveshaft will
transfer the "snap" from the slop along the shaft, and to the pinion
gear. The ring gear then
gets all this extra momentum, and the axles receive the energy.

Check your drive shaft, since you are down anyway.

John Seim
Irvine, CA