[Mg-t] Axle or Differential

Mike Eldred redscirocco at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:44:18 MST 2009

Stu,
It's an axle.  I had the same thing happen this summer, and I got some good
advice here on the list.  If there's a searchable database, you can probably
tap into those messages.  If not, let me know and I'll forward whatever I can
find in my inbox.
Probably the best piece of advice I got was not to buy the new axles that are
being offered by suppliers like Moss because they are of inferior quality.  I
was lucky in that I found a source that had two (I went ahead and replaced
both, just for GPs) new old stock axles.  There are also suppliers (one that's
always on ebay) that offer hardened competition axles for not too much more.
There is a garage nearby that specializes in British sports cars, but I went
to a neighborhood mechanic - one that I know I can depend on.  He did a fine
job.  It should be simple enough to do on your own, but I didn't feel like
tempting fate.  > Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:07:46 -0500> From:
simbafish at comcast.net> To: mg-t at autox.team.net> Subject: [Mg-t] Axle or
Differential> > While in my driveway yesterday, I started the engine, then
placed the TD> into reverse - resulting in a LOUD BANG and no movement. Jacked
up the rear,> and with engine running, put transmission in gear. The drive
shaft appears> to be rotating properly, and universal coupling to the
differential seems> good - but neither rear wheel rotates. In fact, with
engine off, I can> freely rotate both rear wheels. Previously, there was
always considerable> drag and it was difficult to rotate either by hand.> >
What has snapped or broken? From this layman's point of view, it is either>
the differential (ring or pinion) OR the axle.> > I cannot pull either of the
rear wheels outward which I suspect might be> possible if the axle was broken
(or is there something preventing the> outward movement?). Also, if it was the
axle, then would BOTH wheels be> affected, not just one?> > I am looking for
some enlightenment before I drag the TD off to the British> repair shop - or,
if simple enough, do it myself.> > Stu Keen> 1951 MG TD Mark II>